Major Thoroughfare Plan
A Major Thoroughfare Plan (MTP) is a long-range plan that shows a vision for the Town’s transportation network. It provides guidance for future growth and is a regulatory plan for public investments and future improvements to roads, sidewalks, and multimodal facilities. Citizen feedback is critical to ensure that the community’s priorities are reflected in the MTP.
The first MTP public meeting was held on Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at the Thompson’s Station Community Center and was hosted by the project team, which consists of Town staff and Barge Design Solutions, a local planning and engineering consulting firm. The 51 attendees at the meeting learned about the purpose of the MTP and provided input that will be used to shape the plan.
Participants were invited to view and provide comment on several exhibits, all of which are available for download using the links below. Boards 5, 6, and 7 were “feedback stations” that encouraged active participation by attendees.
The second meeting on June 18th, 2019 was recorded and is available to view on this page.
- Orientation Map: Local streets and major destinations within the Town, including the limits of the Town and its Urban Growth Boundary.
- Town Sector Map: Locations intended for growth in the Town’s planning documents.
- Town Zoning Map: Current land zoning classifications.
- Current Roadway Network: Hierarchy of roads within the Town as they exist today.
- Transportation Comments: Participants marked locations of note or concern with stickers; locations noted during the meeting are shown in purple. Responses can also be viewed as an interactive map; click on any pin to see the associated comment.
- Community Priorities: Participants indicated their priorities for the Town by placing stickers on this board; response totals from the meeting are noted in purple.
- Community Feedback: Participants provided public comments on post-it notes; individual responses are kept confidential. All comments received will be reviewed, categorized, and incorporated into the MTP.
Interested citizens who were unable to attend the public meetings or who have additional comments should submit their input via email to TS.MTP@bargedesign.com
Next steps in the process:
- April 16th 2019: The team reviewed and categorized the comments from the first public meeting and concurrently developed traffic models of the Town for present and future conditions. Community feedback and model results will form the basis for proposed recommendations for the Town’s transportation network.
- June 18th 2019: Preliminary recommendations were presented for feedback at a second MTP public meeting on June 18th from 6:30 pm till 8:30 pm at the Community Center. (Click here for meeting video)
- July 23rd 2019: The Draft version of the Major Thoroughfare Plan was presented to the Planning Commission during their July meeting (Click here for meeting video). It will be presented to the Board of Mayor and Aldermen during their August meeting.